Wednesday 4 July 2018

Too Much Crystallized Thinking Lowers Fluid Intelligence

Elder tree.

Too Much Crystallized Thinking Lowers Fluid Intelligence
Christopher Bergland

How can you improve fluid intelligence in an era of crystallized intelligence?
In a digital age—that puts a premium on facts, figures, and data—crystallized intelligence
has become disproportionately valued over fluid intelligence. A wide range of new studies
are finding that motor skills, hand-eye coordination, aerobic conditioning
and daily physicality are important for maintaining working memory and fluid intelligence.
Fluid intelligence is the capacity to think logically and solve problems in novel situations, independent of acquired knowledge. Fluid intelligence involves the ability to identify patterns
and relationships that underpin novel problems and to extrapolate these findings using logic.
On the other hand, crystallized intelligence is the ability to utilize information, skills, knowledge,
and experience in a way that could be measured on a standardized test.
Crystallized intelligence represents your lifetime of cerebral knowledge,
as reflected through your vocabulary, general explicit knowledge and Trivial Pursuit types
of declarative memory of people, places, things...
Although there is some controversy and debate on the best ways to improve fluid intelligence, 
studies are showing a strong link between non-academic pursuits and improved fluid intelligence.
I have written a wide range of Psychology Today blog posts about improving cognitive function through: physical activity, playing a musical instrument, making art, improving motor skills, meditation, daydreaming, getting a good night's sleep...
he ultimate goal of The Athlete’s Way is to identify daily habits that optimize
the function of the brain, body, and mind throughout a person’s lifespan.
Many experts believe that one of the backlashes of overemphasizing standardized testing
as part of ‘no child left behind’ is that young Americans are gaining crystallized intelligence
at the expense of their fluid intelligence. As the father of a 6-year-old, I am determined
to encourage my daughter to flex both her crystallized intelligence and fluid intelligence 
every day and would encourage other parents to do the same.

I hated school when I was growing up and did terribly on standardized tests.
My SAT scores were barely above average. My older sister, on the other hand,
literally got double 800s on her SATs and was a national merit scholar.
Throughout my childhood the unspoken family framework was that my older sister had the ‘book’ smarts, and I had the ‘athletic’ smarts. I never had a chip on my shoulder because
I didn’t like reading books or being in school. I wanted to be outside playing, listening to music
or just hanging out with friends. How was your "intelligence" categorized by your parents
and teachers when you were growing up?
My father was a neuroscientist and a neurosurgeon and often got frustrated with me
for not flexing my ‘cerebral’ muscle. Once I got really into sports and decided to become
a professional athlete he would regularly say things to me like
“Chris, there’s a big part of your brain that you’re forgetting to flex and it’s going to shrink.”
In my dad’s eyes, the cerebrum was the seat of cerebral, or intellectual thinking and the cerebellum was the seat of ‘cerebellar’ implicit knowledge and muscle memory.
If I didn’t flex my prefrontal cortex and gain new explicit knowledge he believed that my cerebrum would lose volume and connectivity. To a degree he was probably right.
I realize now the ideal is to maintain a healthy balance of all 4 brain hemispheres by creating daily habits that engage both crystallized and fluid intelligence throughout your lifespan.

Hampshire College: Non Satis Scire
The main reason I went to Hampshire College is that they don’t have tests or grades.
The second reason I went to Hampshire College
 was because with my SAT scores I didn’t get in anywhere else.
I applied to Hampshire because I didn’t think it would require much cerebral muscle...
What I realize now because of all the research I do on neuroscience and peak performance
is that at Hampshire the neural volume and connectivity of my cerebellum was benefitting
from all the running, biking, swimming, meditation, yoga and art making I was doing regularly. The fact that I never had to cram my head full of crystallized facts actually fortified my fluid intelligence. Yes, because I never had to take a test or memorize anything my crystallized intelligence
is far below average but my fluid intelligence is probably above average.
The motto of Hampshire College is ‘Non Satis Scire’ which means “to know is not enough." The philosophy is that crystallized intelligence doesn’t really get you that far in the real world—especially in the age of Google. Hampshire wanted to teach us fluid intelligence
and emphasized the importance of every individual filtering crystallized information
through his or her very unique lens and connecting the dots in new and original ways.
Fluid intelligence is directly linked to creativity and innovation.
The book smarts of crystallized intelligence can only take a person so far in the real world.
Depriving children of recess and forcing them to sit still in a chair cramming for a standardized test literally causes their cerebellum to shrink and lowers fluid intelligence.

My dad published a book called “Fabric of Mind” in the 1980s.
I knew that of all his accomplishments, publishing a book with Viking was the one
he boasted about the most. I knew that the key to getting a book deal was to get a good agent,
so I set out to find an agent. Jonathan Cane, who got me started as a competitive athlete
back in the 80s—and is my founding co-partner at City Coach—was working on a book
with an agent named Giles Anderson and connected me with the Anderson Literary Agency.
Giles is an amazing agent and got me a book deal with St. Martin’s Press to write
"The Athlete’s Way: Sweat and the Biology of Bliss."
My father was SO impressed that I had gotten a book deal with a major publisher
and it really changed our relationship. Finally, for the first time in my life I had earned his approval. There’s something really sad about that....
How much did it take to make me worthy of love and belonging in his eyes?? Ack. but anyway...
Over the next two years my father and I spoke almost every day and I picked his brain for everything that he knew about neuroscience. It was a perfect father-son partnership
because my athletic perspective on everything actually informed his thinking
and we came up with the idea of shifting the focus of left brain-right brain to a new model
of up brain-down brain between the cerebrum and cerebellum. The cerebrum being the ‘conscious’ book brain, and the cerebellum being the ‘subconscious’ muscle memory brain.
At the time, I was trying to say that ‘left brain-right brain’ was wrong and that the salient divide
in the cranial globe was not east-west, but north-south between the 'up brain' (cerebrum) and 'down brain' (cerebellum). I realize now I may have been half right ... My hypothesis now is that all four hemispheres need to work together to optimize brain connectivity.
Again, this seems so obvious. I don't know why it took me so long to connect the dots.
The most recent neuroscientific research has confirmed that there really is a difference between
the left and right hemispheres. But I believe the goal for optimal brain connectivity isn’t
just across the corpus callosum of the cerebral hemispheres. Optimal brain function needs to include connectivity of the cerebellar hemispheres via the vermis (which divides the cerebellum)
and the midbrain which connects the "big brain" (cerebrum) with the "little brain" (cerebellum).
Beyond that I have a hunch that when the two hemispheres of the cerebrum
and the two hemispheres of the cerebellum become a ‘superfluid’ entity with zero friction
and zero viscosity your mind breaks free to another dimension of consciousness. When every cell of your brain, body, and mind are acting in perfect unison you are in a state of what I call superfluidity.
That split-brain model became the foundation of The Athlete’s Way. A few years later
when I was working on a book proposal for a book called “Origins of Imagination”
I started to notice that creative greats tended to make some type of physical activity
a part of their daily routine. I also noticed that the ‘eureka’ moments often happened
when the researcher, artist, writer... had stepped away from the microscope, canvas or typewriter. The ‘a-ha’ moments happened when a creative person was moving
or doing something that used implicit, cerebellar memory.
I also knew that as a writer I was similar to Joyce Carol Oates in that when I ran,
I could visualize and rework entire paragraphs, structure subheadings, and connect new ideas
in a way that I couldn’t when I was just sitting still. But what was the neuroscience of this?
I was kind of stumped until one day I was walking home and bumped into my friend Maria
on Commercial street in Provincetown. Maria is a poet and I was telling her about all the research
I was doing on the daily habits of creative people and how physical activity was a key
to creating ‘superfluidity’ of thinking.
Without missing a beat, Maria looked at me and said, “I ride the elliptical trainer for at least 40 minutes everyday. When I start moving my arms and legs back and forth the poetry just starts
to come out of me.” As she moved her arms and legs to emulate riding the elliptical
suddenly I realized that the bipedal motion was engaging all four hemispheres
and that connectivity optimized brain function and led to fluid intelligence.
I ran home and drew this diagram of the two hemispheres of the cerebrum and the two hemispheres of the cerebellum working together in what I call a "Super 8 Fluid Intelligence Loop." When you bring the cerebellum into the creative or 'intellectual' process,
crystallized thinking becomes more fluid (or superfluid on a good day).

Fine-Tuned Motor Skills Linked to Fluid Intelligence
On December 23, 2013 researchers in Switzerland announced that they had discovered
that humans with a higher “motor excitability”—which is linked to fine-tuned motor skills—
have  a better working memory, which is linked to improved fluid intelligence.
Researchers from the Psychiatric University Clinics (UPK Basel) and the Faculty of Psychology in Basel have found that the excitability of the motor cortex is directly linked
to improved working memory performance.
"The motor cortical excitability can be easily studied with transcranial magnetic stimulation,"
says Nathalie Schicktanz, doctoral student and first author of the study.
In the present study, that included 188 healthy young subjects, the scientists were able to show
that subjects with a high motor excitability had increased working memory performance as compared to subjects with a low excitability. "By measuring the excitability of the motor cortex, conclusions can be drawn as to the excitability of other cortical areas," says Schicktanz.
Over the past few years I have had my antennae up for any research that could prove this hunch.
It’s been very exciting to wake up every morning and see cutting edge research confirming the link between physical activity, motor skills and improved cognitive function.
I am still putting the pieces of this puzzle together but this new study from Switzerland
is one more piece towards solving this riddle.
The new study titled “Motor Threshold Predicts Working Memory Performance in Healthy Humans” was published December 2013 in Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology. The research
was conducted by scientists from the Transfacultary Research Platform at the University of Basel.
 By measuring the motor excitability, were able to measure general cortical excitability
and related working memory and cognitive performance.

Conclusion: The Importance of Maintaining Working Memory Throughout Your Life
My first book was published a few months before my father passed away in 2007.
He died of a heart attack reading the New York Times in a reclining chair. When my sister and I
went to Florida to empty out his house we found stacks and stacks of my hardcover book in his study and copies of the book were scattered throughout the house.
I felt a sense of peace knowing that my father died knowing that I had published a book.
I believe that nobody should ever feel a ‘need for achievement’ or drive for perfection
in order to feel worthy of love and belonging. This is one reason I object to crystiallized intelligence standardized test scores dictating education. It's also why I make sure my daughter understands
that making an effort and pouring your heart into something that you love is all that really matters regardless of if you get a gold medal, an A+ or no recognition at all.
Interestingly, since my dad's death I feel as if he 'passed the torch' to me and I have such a joyful passion about carrying on his legacy as a neuroscientist. I wake up every morning eager to see
what researchers around the world are discovering about how the brain works and sharing that
with the general reader. As a neuroscientist, my father grew frustrated with the limitations of
bran imaging technology. Although there is still a long way to go,
he would be thrilled to see the advances made by things like the connectome project.
People of all ages need to keep their working memory strong in order to maintain fluid intelligence. In a sedentary digital age full of standardized testing, crystallized intelligence is monopolizing
our brains and causing some regions to shrink and become disconnected.
It causes me great concern for myself and my daughter's generation that people
—especially children—are totally out of balance between crystallized and fluid intelligence.
The book proposal I’m working on now is called “SUPERFLUIDITY: Daily Habits That Optimize Brain Connectivity for a Lifespan of Health, Happiness, and Personal Bests” and is geared towards
upping the fluid intelligence quotient for people from all walks of life and generations.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201312/too-much-crystallized-thinking-lowers-fluid-intelligence

You can TCR software and engineering manuals for spontaneously recall – or pass that exam.
I can Turbo Charge Read a novel 6-7 times faster and remember what I’ve read.
I can TCR an instructional/academic book around 20 times faster and remember what I’ve read.
Introduction to Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
A practical overview of Turbo Charged Reading YouTube  
How to choose a book. A Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
Emotions when Turbo Charged Reading YouTube


Perhaps you’d like to check out my sister blogs:
www.innermindworking.blogspot.com       gives many ways for you to work with the stresses of life.
http://ourbusinessminds.blogspot.co.uk/   takes advantage of the experience and expertise of others. http://mreenhunthappyartaccidents.blogspot.co.uk/      just for fun.

To quote the Dr Seuss himself, “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
                                                   The more that you learn; the more places you'll go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinions, experience and questions are welcome. M'reen