Wednesday 25 April 2018

Of Pre-Med Schedules and the Possibility of Finishing Your Work Before Dinner

Brown frill fungus.

Of Pre-Med Schedules and the Possibility of Finishing Your Work Before Dinner
The Plight of the Pre-Med

Of all Study Hack readers, pre-meds are among the most skeptical.
They tell me that although they like my philosophy of doing a small number of things well,
this is impossible for them. Their course load is too demanding.
Filling most waking hours with work is unavoidable.
Then there’s Nathan.
Nathan is pre-med at the University of Texas at Austin,
where he’s currently tackling the weed out courses that give this major it’s bad reputation.
Here’s what makes Nathan interesting to me: he finishes his work by 5:30 pm every weekday.
In fact, he doesn’t just finish it, he dominates it.
“On the last chemistry test, the average score was a 57,” he told me recently.
“I made a 98…My professors are fascinated by me.”
Naturally, I asked him to share a typical day’s schedule:
6:00 to 6:30: Breakfast/Shower
6:30 to 9:30: Study
9:30 to 10:20: Class
10:30 to 11:30: Study
11:30 to 12:30: Lunch
12:30 to 1:30: Class
1:30 to 2:30: Class
2:30 to 5:30: Study
5:30 to 11:00: Chill by meeting girls, explore the rolling hills and lakes of Austin,
listen to live music, etc.
Here are two things I noticed about Nathan:
First, he’s not necessarily working less than his peers. His schedule includes 40 hours of studying
per week, which is about right for his course load. He simply consolidates this work better.
“But he wakes up at 6,” you might complain, “I could never do that.”
Nathan’s out chasing girls before most students have even started their work for the day.
Fair trade, if you ask me.
The second thing I noticed is that he’s obsessive about focus. He doesn’t just “study,”
he works on the 7th floor of the engineering library: one of the most isolated spots on campus.
He works in 50 minutes chunks, and does 10 minutes of calisthenics,
right there on the library floor, between every chunk. In three hours of this focused studying,
he probably accomplishes more work than most pre-meds do in ten.
I don’t claim that Nathan represents a specific system that all pre-med students should follow.
To me, he’s just a nice example of a more fundamental observation: the happiest students are those who take control of their academic experience, moulding it to fit their own ideal of a life well-lived.

http://calnewport.com/blog/category/tips-time-management-scheduling-productivity/
You can TCR music, poetry or self development material for internal knowing.

I can Turbo Charge Read a novel 6-7 times faster and remember what I’ve read.
I can TCR an instructional/academic book around 20 times faster and remember what I’ve read.
Introduction to Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
A practical overview of Turbo Charged Reading YouTube  
How to choose a book. A Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
Emotions when Turbo Charged Reading YouTube


To quote the Dr Seuss himself, “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn; the more places you'll go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinions, experience and questions are welcome. M'reen